- Since 1959 -
Horse Transportation, Inc.
"SHIP WITH CONFIDENCE"
"Service is our Business ... Satisfaction is our Goal"
MC-198204 D.O.T. #045106
Colorado Springs, CO 80931
Telephone: (719) 392-1888
FAX: (719) 392-1891
QUOTE REQUEST |
ABOUT US |
Here are answers to some frequently asked
questions. If you need more information don't hesitate to give us a call.
- How do I book a shipment?
- How long is the quote you sent me good for?
- What is your schedule?
- What are the terms and conditions for a shipment?
- How do I pay?
- What if I need to cancel?
- What might cause an extra charge?
- Will my horse be insured?
- What type of equipment do you use?
- How large is the stall my horse will travel in?
- What are the accessibility requirements for your equipment?
- What can I expect on a trip?
- Where will my horse stay en-route?
- Can I check on my horse en-route?
- How do I get ready for a shipment?
- What paper work do I need?
- How should I prepare my horse?
- Can I ship tack or other items with my horse?
- Can you accommodate special instructions for my horse?
- Do you provide service to Canada?
- How do I get to your facilities to pick-up or
drop-off my horse?
- Call our office to let us know you want to book a shipment.
- Mail or fax the signed Authorization Form with at least a 50% deposit for the trip.
- While we can sometimes accommodate short notice bookings, it is best to schedule at
least two weeks ahead to be sure of a space.
- We will honor a quoted price for up to 30 days. After 30 days, please check with us to
see if we need to re-quote.
What is your schedule?
- We maintain a regular schedule of sending trucks to the East or West coast about every 2
1/2 weeks. We establish and stick to our schedule. Do not get stood up by carriers
that cancel or delay trips when they are not sufficiently full.
- Call our office to get the latest schedule information.
- A 50% deposit is due when you book a shipment. Payment should be in the form of a money
order or certified check. We can also arrange for wire transfers or credit
card. Indicate on the
Authorization Form if the balance due, if any, will be paid on pickup or on delivery. The
balance due must be paid on delivery.
- If you need to cancel please let us know at least 72 hours (three days) ahead of the
scheduled pickup to receive a full refund of the deposit.
- If cancellation occurs less then 72 hours but more than 24 hours from shipping time a
$50 processing fee applies.
- If cancellation occurs within 24 hours of shipping time a fee of 50% of the total
shipping fee applies.
- Extra charges can result from the following:
- Veterinary bills resulting from the need for treatment while en-route.
- Additional tack not listed on the authorization form. It is the driver's decision
as whether to haul extra tack.
- A change of location in pickup or delivery.
- A difficult horse that takes more than 60 minutes to load.
- Delays in loading a horse due to paperwork not being ready, the horse not being ready or
the contact person being unavailable.
- A difficult access road that was not discussed with the office when the quote was made.
- As a federally regulated carrier, $1,000 limited accidental mortality insurance is provided
for each horse. It is important to understand that this is collision mortality only
insurance. As a third party (not the owner), it is not possible for us to provide full
- It is primarily the horse owner's responsibility to provide insurance. If the owner
elects not to obtain insurance, the owner assumes all risks. If you're shipping a horse
that has just been purchased, it is strongly recommended that the buyer and seller come to
an understanding in advance as to who is responsible for insurance during shipment or who
is assuming the risk.
- If you want full coverage you should arrange for insurance prior to shipping.
Inexpensive options for 30-day policies for travel are readily available from
sources such as the
All American Horse
Insurance Agency. Our LINKS page includes good references for
finding out more about insurance and locating an insurance agent or provider.
- All of our trucks are equipped with full air-ride suspension. We operate two types of
trucks, either 15 horse semi tractor trailers or 8 horse straight box trucks (bus size).
This is the most suitable type of equipment for long-haul routes. The smoother ride of an
air-ride suspension reduces stress and trip fatigue. In addition, the spaciousness of
either van type tends to make horses more comfortable and less claustrophobic. This spaciousness, combined with good ventilation for proper air
control, minimizes the risk of respiratory problems. All of our vans are designed for easy
side ramp loading for good accessibility to all horses. All of the trucks are equipped with sleeper cabs so
that the two driver team is well rested. That means a safer trip for your horse. Look at
the About Nation-Wide Horse
Transportation page to see pictures of some of the trucks.
- Stall size varies somewhat by truck and by position in the truck but is generally about
33 inches wide and the depth is adjustable to provide up to 9 feet of space. Horses can be
shipped in a single stall, stall and a half or box stalls. The horses are separated by
partitions and head dividers.
- The semi tractor trailers are about 70 feet long and the straight trucks are about 37
feet long. Both types of trucks need a vertical clearance of about 13 feet below
overhanging signs or tree branches. If you have any doubt about accessibility, please call
our office in advance to discuss. It is the driver's decision as to whether an access
point is safe. It may be necessary to walk a horse to a truck that cannot enter an access
- When you book a trip we will provide an approximate pickup date. Usually we will know to
an accuracy of a day or two what the pickup date will be. As the pickup date nears we will
call the pickup contact person with a better estimate of the pickup date and time.
Weather, traffic conditions and difficult to load horses can all have an impact on our
schedule. We will update the pickup contact person if our timing needs to be adjusted. On
the day of the pickup the drivers will call about one to two hours ahead to get any final
directions that are needed and to provide a better pickup time estimate. If the pickup is
before 6:00 AM the driver will call the evening before to finalize arrangements. It is
very important that someone be available to answer the phone. Please provide any backup
phone numbers you can.
- There are two drivers assigned to each rig. We travel an average of 850 miles a day with
rest stops approximately every 5 hours. The drivers regularly check water buckets and hay
bags. All rigs are equipped with mobile phones. All drivers check in with the office on a
regular schedule so that we know where our trucks are at any given time.
- If your horse's trip requires a layover, we have an ideally located hub in Colorado. The
horses get to rest, usually for two or three days, and are observed before the
continuation of their trip. You can rest assured that your horse will be well tended to at
our clean and professionally managed stable. Your horse will not be part of a herd. We
have 19 stables in our 4800 sq. ft. barn and 26 individual turnout paddocks. We provide a
comfortable and safe environment for your horse. Look at the About
Nation-Wide Horse Transportation page to see pictures of our facilities.
- When you book a trip we will provide an approximate delivery date. Usually we will know
to an accuracy of a day or two what the delivery date will be. As the delivery date nears
we will call the delivery contact person with a better estimate of the delivery date and
time. We will update the delivery contact person if our timing needs to be adjusted. On
the day of the delivery the drivers will call about one to two hours ahead to get any
final directions that are needed and to provide a better delivery time estimate. If the
delivery is before 6:00 AM the driver will call the evening before to finalize
arrangements. It is very important that someone be available to answer the phone. Please
provide any backup phone numbers you can. Someone must be available to accept delivery of
the horse. Finally, we will let the pickup contact person know that the delivery was
- The following paperwork must be available at pickup:
- A current Coggins test for EIA. A Coggins test is good for one year in most states.
- A current health certificate. Health certificates are good for 30 days and must be valid
through the time of delivery.
- A brand inspection if the horse is coming from any of the following states: CO, ID, MT,
NV, NM, UT, WY and portions of OR, SD and WA.
- While not required by law, it is strongly recommended that all
immunizations are current. This is particularly true for a young horse that
may be more susceptible to infections. Horses should be vaccinated no later
than two weeks before transport. Some horses can have a negative reaction to
vaccinations. The two weeks allows time for the horse to recuperate and for
the vaccinations to take affect.
- Please supply one bale of hay per horse at pickup.
- Make sure your horse is well hydrated before shipment.
- Decisions such as whether to use shipping boots, leg wraps, tail wraps or to oil a horse
are between you and your veterinarian. In general, we do not find these measures necessary
unless a horse has a history that would indicate these precautions. For example, a horse
that is known to "scramble" during shipment might warrant shipping boots. If you
choose to use shipping boots please have them in place before we arrive. If the boots or
wraps come loose our driver will not reapply them.
- We recommend NOT to have a horse's hooves trimmed near the time of shipment.
- A halter, a lead and a blanket may be shipped at no extra charge.
- Additional items will require an extra charge depending on the number of
items and their size. Call for a quote.
- Tack should be disclosed at the time of sending in the Authorization Form. If we have a
very full truck it may not be possible to accommodate last minute additions. It is the
driver's decision as to whether to haul extra tack.
- We will do our best to accommodate special requests. It is best to write down special
instructions and send them with your Authorization Form. If your requirements include
special dietary items, please provide those to the drivers at the time of pickup. Special
dietary items may be subject to additional shipment charges.
- We do not provide direct service to Canada. However, in some cases
we are able to coordinate with Canadian shippers to provide service.
Please call us to discuss your situation to see if we can help.
P.O. Box 5368
Colorado Springs, CO 80931
Telephone: (719) 392-1888
FAX: (719) 392-1891
QUOTE REQUEST |
ABOUT US |
Copyright © 2013 by
Nation-Wide Horse Transportation®, Inc. All rights reserved.
No part of this document may be reproduced
the express written permission of Nation-Wide Horse Transportation, Inc.